Tuesday 11 October 2011

The Pox, Chicken Pox

So Tiddler has Chicken Pox. Doesn't seem at all fair, she definitely isn't top of the list of the world's healthiest babies. I do worry a little that there is something affecting her immune system. Obviously as we are without a diagnosis still for her it's hard not to let your mind wander a little and worry about what might be...

She has what must now be hundreds of spots. Hundreds. When my husband checked her temperature on Sunday morning he actually thought the thermometer had broken. I then stripped her off and noticed 3 or 4 spots. We didn't know what it was at this point and phoned the Childrens Ward as she is known to them for advice. They told us to bring her in, predominantly I think because of her history. We were sent home quickly, having been told it was probably Chicken Pox rather than any post viral complication or chest infection.

By 4.30 pm, I was terrified. Tiddler had been dosed up on Calpol and Ibuprofen all day, had more spots, was floppy, moaning, only wanted to lie in our arms- completely out of character. She never lets us hold her, she's normally too busy doing Tigger impressions. Her temperature was 39.9 C and we couldn't get it down. Her breathing was rapid, almost panting. I rang the Ward again. I literally ran around the house grabbing bits and pieces and we set off again for the hospital. The car journey was as I imagined our labour dash would have been, had I not been induced early! Poor Tiddler in only her nappy in October. They were much busier this time and we had to wait for what seemed like an age. We were in the main waiting room and I felt awful as I knew she was proobably infectious. She was crying constantly for about 3 hours. Again, totally unheard of for Tiddler to do this.

They admitted us in the end because she had not taken enough fluids, and with her history of poor feeding, they didn't want to take any chances. By then I was calm, her temperature had by now subsided randomly on its own. We eventually got transferred to the Ward, and I was told we had to get 150 ml in her within an hour or they would put an NG tube down her and top up her fluids. I was desperate to avoid this as I knew this would certainly involve a longer stay. Using a 5ml syringe I managed to get 130ml down her which was enough to keep the tube away!

The Drs checked her throughout the night and by morning she was feeding normally again. It was abundantly clear she had Chicken Pox, she was fine to go home.

Now we are Calamining her like there is no tomorrow but she really is covered! I hope the itchiness passes quickly and without incident...

No comments:

Post a Comment