Tuesday 16 August 2011

OCD and handwashing - what's normal

A Soap Dispenser

So this is a bit of a weird one- writing about myself rather than Tiddler today... I wanted to pick your brains.

I have OCD. No big deal, had it for years. Anyway, I have been attending CBT sessions because of the difficulty I was having coming to terms with Tiddler's health issues and start in life. They are now hoping to address my OCD. I am a handwasher and checker. I can't believe I am writing this!

I was asked what "normal" was for handwashing- I honestly don't know- especially with a baby. (Tiddler is 8 1/2 mths old) I was asked if I would ask my friends- survey opinion among my contemporaries. Well there's no way I am doing that- you see I hide things pretty well. Proud of that, whether that is wise or not is another debate for another day... So I thought I would ask readers of my blog. So- what IS normal?

Once I have a "normal" level thats what the exposure therapy for CBT will use as a target.

Thank you- all answers would be really appreciated! I know this is random, but to get rid of OCD in my life would be AMAZING!

1 comment:

  1. I feel exactly like you my life would be great to with out ocd in it.I have had ocd since i was a child,i check things also but not as bad as i used to.I found that the main cause of mine was that i was suffering with depression which made it at one point unbearable to cope with.But know i have a whole new lease of life and don't suffer with it as bad.I really hope you can get yours sorted i know how frustrating this can be. x

    ReplyDelete